career advice?

Subject: career advice?
From: Ruth Simpson <ruths -at- MCCABE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:15:47 -0500

Hi Techwrlers,

I tried searching the archives for the answers to my questions, but I
guess my questions are too specific, or something. Also, I've already
posted a message similar to this on Copyedit-L, so if you subscribe to
that, I apologize for the cross-posting.

I am a technical writer for McCabe & Associates, and I am considering a
career change. I have been reading a book called, "What Color Is Your
Parachute?" to determine just what career would be right for me. I have
been going through the exercises in the book to inventory and prioritize
my skills (to find the right occupation) and interests (to find the
right field).

I suspect that my occupation is right for me (technical writing), but
that I may not be in the right field. McCabe software is software used
by programmers, so it is extremely complex. I think I would enjoy
writing for a less-specialized audience than software programmers.
However, I do not know what jobs are available that would fit my
interests.

I am interested in textbook math and science, logic, puzzles, how things
work, "pop-philosophy" (I call it that, as opposed to textbook
philosophy, because I cannot remember which philosopher said what to
save my life.), science-fiction, and fantasy fiction. I enjoy reading,
constructing, writing, analyzing, editing, and organizing.

The following careers have been suggested to me:
- technical writing for user applications (the audience is the general
public)
- technical writing for hardware
- desktop publishing
- copy-editing math or science textbooks
- copy-editing science-fiction or fantasy novels

Do you think that one of these careers would fit my skills and
interests? Are there any full-time, permanent jobs available in these
careers in the Baltimore/Washington area? If so, what is the pay? Do you
have any other suggestions for occupations that might work for me?

Ruth Simpson

P.S. If you reply with advice, and I forget to say thanks, well, TIA.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=