Re: Interview questions

Subject: Re: Interview questions
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:16:14 -0700

Well, that's a load of crap. Some of my jobs have come from networking.
And one interview was exactly as Garret described, "So, how's the wife and
kids."

These people were not friends, neighbors, or any other relation. Just
people I met (one of them on an airplane), got a business card from, and
spent 10 minutes a month to keep in contact with. By the time the interview
comes, they already know enough about my personality to determine whether I
would fit in their group, and from our dialogs they know about my writing
and my stances on technical communication issues.

So, would you rather hire someone who you know would fit in, produces
quality work, and shows enough interest in the profession to make the time
for professional interaction with others, or someone who you have 3 hours to
determine these attributes.

And there is nothing, NOTHING, preventing newcomers and "solitary talents"
from networking.

Jason

BTW: I used to feel like you do, "Geez, why do all the schmoozers get all
the breaks." Then I got smart, grew up, and realized that networking is an
important part of ANY profession.

with, it would delight me to see that thread flamed so thoroughly that
people think twice about the whole situation. Do we want to see formation
of an old-boys network impossible for newcomers and solitary talents to
break into, or do we want to see an equitable, worth-is-measured and
quality-is-rewarded system of hiring? Sheesh!

before
I have the opening approved. The interview then consists mostly of "How are
the kids?" This involves going to a lot of extra meetings every month,
having lunch with old friends and new acquaintences, and putting a little
effort into staying in touch. But at least I don't have to ask a perfect
stranger about their innermost fears and inadequacies.<<<<<<

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=