Re: Interview questions

Subject: Re: Interview questions
From: Garret Romaine <garret -dot- h -dot- romaine -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:18:16 -0800

Diane wrote:
> networks
> with, it would delight me to see that thread flamed so thoroughly that
> people think twice about the whole situation. Do we want to see formation
> of an old-boys network impossible for newcomers and solitary talents to
> break into, or do we want to see an equitable, worth-is-measured and
> quality-is-rewarded system of hiring? Sheesh!

Well, let's see we can avoid a flame war here, whatever "the whole
situation" is. First, I put the comment in (which wasn't snipped) that my
tongue was in my cheek. This is an old cliche, to be sure, but surely the
understanding isn't completely lost. Translation: I was kidding.

Having said that, Diane, I do network very hard, and it pays off for me. The
first writer I want to hire right now is a woman whom I consider an online
guru. There goes the old boys network idea.

Second, I teach a technical writing class at the local university. I also
judge a portfolio contest for the school. I'm active in the local
publications competiton also. I would humbly submit that when I get an
opening for a manager, a senior writer, or even an entry-level writer, the
work I have put into judging the contests, teaching the classes, and
lecturing for free at our chapter's entry-level Special Interest Group two
or three times a year will come back to me. By the way, the portfolio
contest winner this year was a woman.

Garret

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=