Re[2]: Front Page Fussy

Subject: Re[2]: Front Page Fussy
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:35:18 -0600

My comment about "how picky" means that FP does some things which I
would consider minor annoyances, but would cause others would go
ballistic (this is based on personal experience... when I mentioned
some of what I consider FP's minor annoyances on another list, some
said those quirks alone made the product unacceptable).

My favorite FP "quirk:" I was given some RTF pages to work into web pages.
No problem, says I, FP can read RTF. And it did. So I worked the material
into pages, linked the references, saved the result, and fired up the
browser for final proofing. Interestingly enough, FP's RTF import function
apparently colors the text black. Not a serious problem, except that the
color overrides the link color as well, so the link text just looked like
underlined "normal" text. The quirk, however, was that while in the FP
editor, the links showed up as their normal (blue) color. It was only when
loaded into the browser (MSIE 4, as a matter of fact) that the problem was
revealed. I then had to go back and reload every page into the FP editor
and change the text colors. I woudn't have minded so much if it had just
shown me that it was coloring everything black. Then I wouldn't have had to
waste the time going back to do it, but could have addressed the problem on
the first pass. But instead it left me hanging, and completely puzzled as
to why the links weren't showing up (until I checked the source code and
discovered what had happened).

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224