Re: XML: What it is and What it Does

Subject: Re: XML: What it is and What it Does
From: Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:13:07 -0600

There's a whole bunch of information about XML (as to when and how it can
be useful) on my Web site "Mary's Tips on Designing Web Sites."

http://www.superconnect.com/marystips

Just click on the button "Truth about XML."

Cordially, Mary McWilliams Johnson
McJohnson Communications
Documentation / Web Site Design, Development and Graphics
http://www.superconnect.com
------------------------------º><º------------------------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
------------------------------º><º------------------------------

At 01:18 PM 1/14/99 -0500, Joe Miller wrote:
>Seems that not everyone knows what XML stands for and what it has to do
>with tech writing/publishing. Here's the short answer.
>
>XML stands for Extended Markup Language. It's much better for formatting
>online documents than HTML (Hypertext Markup Language), which is not very
>powerful (nor, in my opinion, very useful for publishing), and is not as
>complex and hard to master as SGML (Standardized General Markup Language),
>the markup language from which both HTML and XML are derived.
>
>You can find more information about XML at <http://www.xml.com>, a site
>sponsored by O'Reilly Publishing and Seybold Seminars. In addition to
>current news about XML, it has links to XML defintions.
>
>As Peter Carroll explained it so well in the Publishing Forum on Universal
>Thread last month <http://www.universalthread.com> (included here with
>Peter's permission).
>
>>XML:
>> a. provides a common format for all document files
>> b. enables content management.
>> In a nutshell, it means that authors will not be tied to proprietary
>> formats (e.g. MS Word) and that knowledge can be captured
>> systematically at the authoring stage instead of after publishing.
>> This will enable faster and more efficient production through reuse
>> of content fragments across diverse systems.
>
>In his reply giving his permission to quote his words, Peter added:
> "You are probably aware that XML can be many things to many people and
> systems so it can be a difficult and lengthy process to describe it
>fully."
>
>I hope this necessarily short explanation helps you understand what XML is
>and what it can do.
>
>--Joe Miller

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000