STC discussion postscript

Subject: STC discussion postscript
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:27:18 -0800

List members,

A couple of days ago, I posted a message listing all the
benefits I get from my STC membership. I got a few messages
of thanks in my inbox, and the discussion stopped. (Sometimes
I feel a little paranoid here, guys! The minute I put in my
two cents, everybody else shuts up! ;-) ) Well, validation
comes in strange ways and when you least expect it, so I feel
compelled to share last night with you.

Ill health mandated that I keep a low profile for the past
year -- remember how peaceful it was without me on the list???
The only commitment I kept was the STC conference at Anaheim
where I presented two papers.

Now I'm feeling better and so last night I went to the monthly
STC meeting for the first time in over a year. I walked up to
the reception table and paid for my dinner and the man behind
the cash box looked up and exclaimed, "Sue! Thank you!!!"

Me: "Huh??? WhaddidIdo???"

He: "I attended your OO presentation at Anaheim. Time passes...
Calendar pages fall off the wall... I'm at a job interview and
the interviewer holds up a pen and asks me to talk about it in
object-oriented terminology, so I said, 'this pen is an instance
of class writing instrument...' and I got the job, so thank you!"

Believe me, the glow he started hasn't faded yet! Worth my dues?
You betcha! Worth his dues? Obviously he thinks so. And you don't
get the kind of reward that I got or that he got from reading
_Publish_ and _InfoWeek_ from cover to cover. Trust me on this one.

So order up some rubber chicken for me and I'll see you in
Cincinnati. STC is well worth the price of admission.

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=