Re: Documenting an associated product

Subject: Re: Documenting an associated product
From: "Lenk, D. S. (Don)" <don -dot- lenk -at- LMCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:27:12 -0500

It has been my (non-lawyer) experience that writing about another
company's products
is OK as long as you don't lift information from their manuals. I have
documented many
systems that use hardware and software components from other
manufacturers and
never had a problem describing their products in my own words or
photographing or
otherwise illustrating their products using my own tools.

In those cases where I needed to copy information from their manuals, it
has usually
been easy to get permission to do so. I had our contracts folks contact
the other
companies who usually responded with a letter granting permission.

CAVEAT: Using screen captures seems like an subject for copyright
permissions
or one for your legal department to address.

Disclaimer: This info is my opinion only, not legal advice, not from my
employer,
etc, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Don Lenk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=