Re: "Non-editable" Fields & Misc.

Subject: Re: "Non-editable" Fields & Misc.
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:50:58 -0500

"You cannot change the information in this field." Although I'm assuming
you are trying to give instructions to the user about how to fill out some
fields.

> 2) In the past I've referred to screens as screens not windows. For
> example: Click the Yes radio button on the XYZ screen. Is the consensus
> use screen or window?

It depends. Are you documenting a text-mode application (in which
information is given a whole screen at a time), or an element of a GUI where
the immediately relevant part of the user interface has a title bar,
borders, and so on?

If the application displays the thing you're documenting so that it takes up
the entire screen *and* isn't just a really big window, then I would call it
a "screen." (This would also go for applications *intended* to be full
screen, even if the user frequently executes them in a DOS box in Windows.)

If it's a component of a windowed operating system, such as a dialog box,
then I'd call it a "window" (or, for that matter, a "dialog box" if it is
one).

> Also, would you suggest saying "on the XYZ screen"
> or "in the XYZ screen"?

I'm inclined to say "in" the window or screen, if only because its contents
are confined within some kind of borders.

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc., Kanata, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=