Re: Grammar tipsheet, part 3

Subject: Re: Grammar tipsheet, part 3
From: "Stephen C. Gillespie" <sgillespie -at- FEDEX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:57:37 -0600

To add to Tom Campbell's remarks, he's absolutely right in his dialogue
on grammar...esp re the writer's context/construct; for example, in
journalism (-istic) style, it's OK to compose the "sentence fragment"
(incomplete grammatical sentence construction), in fact, often preferred
as a matter of STYLE. Of course, that sort of thing is taboo for tech
writing.

It's the split-infinitive and "never end a sentence with a preposition"
shibboleths that get me. In short, I know the "rules," but I'd rather be
CONSISTENT than "correct" any day!

Thanks, Tom, for your keen insights.

Steve G.

p.s. remember what Churchill said about "ending a sentence..."?
--"that's the sort of nonsense, up with which, I will NOT put!"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=