Re: Grammar question - and knowing the rules

Subject: Re: Grammar question - and knowing the rules
From: Hal Wrobel <hwrobel -at- BAAN -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:03:27 +0100

[Hal Wrobel] "Complete" is both an adjective and a transitive verb,
the past participle of which can function as an adjective. So both phrases
are correct.
"Finish" is not an adjective, which is why "the work is finish" is
incorrect. Since it is a transitive verb, "the work is finished (past
participle)" is correct.
Same for rules apply to "welcome" and "welcomed". Grammatically,
they're both OK. Regarding Michelle's (original) question, I would go with
the adjective, "Your comments are always welcome."

Regarding grammatical rules, by the way, I don't believe you have to
be anal retentive in applying them, but I do believe that knowing them
improves your writing, and actually gives you more freedom.

Hal Wrobel
Technical Writer
Baan Engineering-Israel
e-mail: halw -at- baan-eng -dot- com