Re: Grammar question - and knowing the rules

Subject: Re: Grammar question - and knowing the rules
From: Tom Campbell <tomcampbell -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:55:17 -0000

Hal Wrobel said:
"Regarding grammatical rules, by the way, I don't believe you have to be anal retentive in applying them, but I do believe that knowing them improves your writing, and actually gives you more freedom."

This is a much better, more succinct statement of the view I was trying to convey in my post about grammar a couple of days ago. The point about following grammar rules is not to be "correct" (although, like wearing nice clothes to a job interview, grammatical correctness can enhance the reader's perception of your professionalism).

The more important goal is to be understood. Following the rules aids this goal. Ignoring them or applying them inconsistently can hinder communication.

Deftly written prose gently but surely guides the reader through the material. If it's done well, the reader feels at ease and has a greater sense of confidence in the subject matter.

And, as Hal says, a solid knowledge of the basics does give the practitioner greater freedom to focus on the task at hand--as it does in any craft.

Sorry if I'm just restating the obvious, but I do think it's worthwhile to remind ourselves of why it's important to learn and use the mechanics of language.

---
Tom Campbell
tomcampbell -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM
"I try to leave out the parts that people skip."
--Elmore Leonard

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=