"Canadian" spelling...

Subject: "Canadian" spelling...
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 02:03:36 -0800

Crawford Kilian noted that "Canadians *tend* to prefer certain terms over
the equivalent Americanisms: shareholders vs. US stockholders, railways vs
US railroads, storey/story vs. US floor. But most of us don't think often
about which term (or spelling) we choose. That's one of the skookum things
about your northern tillicums. :-)"

That's one of the great things about being Canadian. We tend to find that
both the Americans and the British tend to be downright anal at times
about their "proper" spellings, whereas we mellow lot north of the 49th
will just as readily wander from one to the other, and nobody seems to
care that much. In fact, except for the "U-enhanced" words, I doubt most
Canadians could tell you which term originates where.

That said, I'm off to see my stockholder neighbours on the second floor
before they leave for the railway...

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting;
it is not logical, but it is often true.
- Spock

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=