Re: Me or I?

Subject: Re: Me or I?
From: The Hochs <hoch -at- AQUANET -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:46:11 +0200

According to John Eastwood, _Oxford Guide to English Grammar_ (p. 234),

"We sometimes use a subject pronoun as complement ... Who's that? -- It's
me./It is I. ... The subject pronoun in this position is old-fashioned and
often formal. The object pronoun is normal, especially in informal
speech." Much as I respect tradtion, I think I'd go with "me" here.

I'm not sure, by the way, how much this is an issue in technical writing.
I suspect most readers of technical communications (users of manuals,
on-line help, etc.) would be most surprised to find text which is both
addressed to them and uses the
first person :)!

Richard Hoch

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=