Re: Bad translations?

Subject: Re: Bad translations?
From: Steve Iverson <steve -at- IVERSONLANG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:21:39 -0600

As the owner of a translation company, I understand the difficulty that you all have
in trying to find translators who are not only native speakers with technical
knowledge, but who also know who to write well. Keep in mind that technical material
and marketing material require different sets of skills, and you may need more than
one translator depending on the type of material it is.

Have you developed glossaries to make sure that certain terms are understood? This
also allows you to standardize. It is good that you are using Trados. Is there some
reason that you only use it on larger projects?

Editing is critical to any type of writing assignment--in English or a foreign
language. We use an outside proofreader, and then do in-house editing for a large
number of languages. In addition, we encourage our customers to have a qualified
staff person review it as well.

Just as writing in English can be tricky, so can the translation. It is a human
process, so our policy has been to have a number of "humans" look at it to avoid
misinterpretations and mistakes.

Hope this helps,

Steve Iverson

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=