Map files in ForeHelp ? (2)

Subject: Map files in ForeHelp ? (2)
From: Steve Riley <SRILEY -at- BCT-SYSTEMS -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:00:51 -0000

If you've been on the list long, you won't be surprised by the answer
...it depends. Either you can supply the map file (a separate file
referenced by both the help project and the application). Otherwise
the programmers can supply and you reference it.

Further, you can let ForeHelp generate the nos and supply them, or
you can assign them according to your own scheme and supply
those nos.

With smaller projects (linking say 20 or 30 forms and help screens)
we find it easier to produce a list of numbers and then the
HELP CONTEXTID (spelling?) is added manually to each form using
this as a reference. The ContextID relates a helpscreen to a form to
provide context linking when F1 is pressed. It's a property the
technical
chaps add to the form. They'll know.

Delphi may be different. ForeHelp creates mapfiles in VB, C or
Pascal format. Can Delphi use one of these? The file is only a text file
but the syntax varies by language.

Hope This Helps
Steve

Stephen Riley, Development Group
BCT Business Systems Ltd
p: +44 (0)1925 732325
f: +44 (0)1925 730828
e: sriley -at- bct-systems -dot- co -dot- uk

1. Who generally creates the map files? I read that it depends on the
environment the programming was done in. The first application I'm
going to
write help for was created in Delphi.
2. Does ForeHelp create map files automatically?
3. If I tell a group of programmers that the help is linked to the
application
by map files will they know what I'm talking about do I need to know
more?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=