Re: ANON: My replacement

Subject: Re: ANON: My replacement
From: Dick Schellens <richard_schellens -at- MAIL -dot- GDT1 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:15:39 -0500

I do agree with Tracey: give them a list of resources (stc,

In my experience, it does no good to try educate managers on your way
out the door. They already "know all the answers" (they're "managers"
after all) and any advice you give will either confirm what they
already "know" or be received as sour-grapes if it doesn't confirm
what they know.

My advice is to leave on the best terms possible. You may need them as
a reference some day. Explain that the new position offers "more
responsibility... is a step up... is important to my career", etc.
(vs. I hope to be treated as a professional; I hope to be respected,
etc.).

If they want to promote the receptionist to senior technical writer,
they are off on their own little journey of discovery.

Dick Schellens
GDT
Lebanon, NH

dicksc -at- gdt1 -dot- com