Gretzky 'n' Grammar

Subject: Gretzky 'n' Grammar
From: Mark Nowlin <mnowlin -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:41:21 +0000

My best friend writes a very popular online hockey column. He was flamed
for the grammatical awkwardness of the following sentence:

"Gretzky at 38 is still better than half the players in their primes."

Could someone cite chapter-and-verse the rule(s) he has violated here?
Have we a "squinting modifier" or something far more dreadful?

Thank you!
--
Mark Nowlin
Southpaw Communications