Re: Gretzky 'n' Grammar

Subject: Re: Gretzky 'n' Grammar
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:13:52 -0500

Mark Nowlin:

> My best friend writes a very popular online hockey column. He
> was flamed
> for the grammatical awkwardness of the following sentence:
>
> "Gretzky at 38 is still better than half the players in their primes."
>
> Could someone cite chapter-and-verse the rule(s) he has violated here?
> Have we a "squinting modifier" or something far more dreadful?

It's a question of audience. Sounds like a perfectly good sports sentence to me, at least spoken. The fans know what you mean.

As a sentence in a technical communication, the problems go far beyond grammar.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=