Re: uppercase titles

Subject: Re: uppercase titles
From: "Molly M. Theodossy" <mmtheodossy -at- UCDAVIS -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:43:39 -0800

I don't know if this is referenced in any style guides, but I can tell you
the reason this is a no-no is because it makes the title less readable. One
of the ways people recognize words is by their shape. When you put
something in all caps, the word becomes a big square and is less
recognizable, especially to skim readers.

I can't give you an actual source on this. I have picked this up through
years of studying both graphic design and communications.

At 04:17 PM 1/27/99 -0500, Roberta Boyle (LMC) wrote:
>I am a very new technical writer and I have a question. We are having a
>discussion about writing titles all in uppercase. I understood that this is
>a no-no.

Molly M. Theodossy
Technology Trainer/Technical Writer
mmtheodossy -at- ucdavis -dot- edu