beginning techwriting

Subject: beginning techwriting
From: smith <smith -at- DDS -dot- NL>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:33:48 +0200

Hello TECHWR-Lers TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU,

I'm new to the list and I am interested in 'BREAKING' into the techwriting
profession. My background is the social sciences (BA and MA). I have
minimal computer skills but a strong interest in learning more about
computing (web and D-top pub.)and technical writing.

1.) How difficult is it to gain employment in techwriting coming from a
non-related discipline?
2.) What applications should I begin to learn for an entry-level
techwriting job?
3.) I only have social science related writing samples, can anyone suggest
ways to get
tech-writing samples in order to build up a portfolio?
4.) I am looking for a training position or entry level work in Denmark,
is there anyone on
the list from Copenhagen or have experience or information about the
techwriting mkt. here?

Any other constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Stan

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=