Re: MS Word question - text flow problems

Subject: Re: MS Word question - text flow problems
From: Roger Bell <abraweb -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:53:14 -0500

I have been using MS Word for about 10 years. While my experience has not
been perfect, I have not had the huge problems with Word I see discussed in
this forum. Yes the numbering is buggy. Never had a problem with tables
though.

Graphics can be a problem if the graphics files you are inserting are very
large. A competent graphic artist should be able to help you reduce those
files. If your computer is not a Pentium II system with lots of RAM, you
should probably edit the Word files in Normal mode, perhaps even using
picture placeholders to view during the edit. I almost never use frames. I
have a style tag I use for all my graphics, and virtually never have a
graphics problem in Word. I firmly believe the size of the graphics file is
paramount here.

I haven't found the master document mode to be very reliable either. I
recommend multiple chapters, each saved as a stand-alone file. You can
create macros in a template to then create a table of contents and index for
the book. Also, keep chapter files to 30 pages or fewer if you can,
especially if you have lots of graphics.

For reference, I am currently using Word 97 with SR-1 in a Windows 98,
Pentium II, 450 MHz, with 128 MB of SDRAM. My system until last Dec. was a
Pentium (pre-MMX) 133 MHz, with 24 MB of RAM in Windows 95. The only
difference I see now is increased speed.

Hope this helps.