Is Custom Installation a Feasible Tool for Improving MS Word Performance? (Was: MS Word question)

Subject: Is Custom Installation a Feasible Tool for Improving MS Word Performance? (Was: MS Word question)
From: Richard Feldman <rfeldman -at- CFSLC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:59:33 -0700

Apologies if this has been addressed since the last digest went out:

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:33:00 -0500 Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
responded to:

>> Supposedly, the next incarnation of Word is going to offer a more modular
>> installation, so you can actually leave out features you don't use. When
you
>> decide you really do want the grammar checker installed, the system
>> automatically installs it the first time you need it. I'm curious to see
how
>> this works, but I have a feeling it's not going to work as advertised.
If it
>> does, it might reduce some of the overhead in Word.

with:

>Actually, you have this option now. When you install, select Custom
>Installation, and select only the features you need. Grammar checking, etc.,
>are all options. If you later decide you want the Grammar checker, you can
>simply install that portion.

Has anyone actually tried using Custom Installation to improve the
behavior of Word 97? If so, what were your results?

Richard

Richard Feldman, Technical Writer
Camber Flight Simulation LC
5550 Midway Park Place, Albuquerque, NM 87109 e-mail: rfeldman -at- cfslc -dot- com
PH: (505) 342-5369 FX: (505) 343-0766

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=