Writing Samples & Job ads

Subject: Writing Samples & Job ads
From: Chris Johnson <cw_johnson -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:57:10 -0800

I don't think writing samples should be required with an initial job
application. If they are requested, I include a note with my resume
describing the samples I can present if granted an interview. A
well-crafted cover letter and a resume should be enough of a writing
sample at this stage of the process, in my view.

Also, you don't what will happen to the samples or how they will be
interpreted without you present to explain the context in which they
were created.

If you have a professional web site you can also point to that as a
work sample. I also make some writing samples available on my web site
as password-protected pdf files. Thus I can control distribution of
the samples, while at the same time making them conveniently available
to serious inquirers who e-mail me and request the password.

Chris

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=