Re: Liberal Studies as Background...

Subject: Re: Liberal Studies as Background...
From: Chris Hamilton <caxdj -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:29:08 -0500

Lenn Thompson wrote:

> I would have to agree with Mr. Fleury that it is probably easier for a
> writer-type to learn tech information than it is for an engineer to learn how to write clearly.

It depends on how technical the information is. Our product is pretty
involved and pretty technical. Right now, if I had to choose, I'd take a
TW who's strong technically, but is only average as a writer over a
great writer without technical depth. Why? I can edit what's written
more quickly and easily than I can fill in the blanks created by someone
without the technical background.

This really depends on your situation and the composition of your staff.
I don't see how there can be an absolute or even a strong guide one way
or the other.

> Maybe the techie types COULD enter the writing world...but they don't need to...so they don't want to????

This is wrong. I am a former programmer who doesn't find it challenging
when I can't find a bug. It's a pain in the neck. Judging by my career
success, I'm pretty good at this. And I suspect I'm not alone.

--
Chris Hamilton
Technical Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=