Re: Page Numbering and PDF

Subject: Re: Page Numbering and PDF
From: Fred Perry <perryf -at- NINA -dot- PAGESZ -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 16:36:31 -0500

We too use a hyphenated page numbering despite using PDF with its automatic
page numbering. We have talked about going to consecutive page numbering
within the manual, but it doesn't make sense, especially with the longer
manuals, as you point out. Furthermore, Acrobat starts numbering the pages
from the first page, which for our documents is the cover. If you count the
cover, the inside cover and the TOC, that could be up to 16 pages'
difference in the PDF numbers and the document page numbers. (There may be a
method of starting the page numbering wherever I wish, but I haven't
explored for it yet.) So, if I went to consecutive page numbering for the
sake of trying to match up with PDFs, they would still get a mismatched page
numbering.

We use bookmarks and thumbnails in the hope of giving a number of methods to
go through a manual without causing confusion. The bookmarks seem to work
especially well.