Re: How do you respond to job ads?

Subject: Re: How do you respond to job ads?
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:57:02 -0800

When I respond via email, I
1. use any ad-related id in the SUBJ field and again in the 'cover
letter'

2. create a 'cover letter' that addresses - line by line - the
advertiser's concerns ... just as I would if I was sending a paper
response

3. tell the advertiser where my resume base page is found (URL) = with
any luck, the advertiser's email will turn the location into a
hot/hyperlink

4. make certain in the e-letter to note there are "all-in-one"
(single-file) resumes in ASCII, FM*, PDF, and RTF as well as
PowerPoint PPT* and PPT>HTML overviews linked from the base page.

* Since I claim experience with FrameMaker and
PowerPoint, it seems logical to provide a
sample.

I was once told by a kind HR person to ALWAYS send a cover letter
"even if you write it by hand with a pencil." Other HR people have
stressed that applications need to address the advertiser's
requirements. One told me (this pre-"inexpensive" database s/w) that
HR people look ONLY at the current/last job and (perhaps) education
(formal and otherwise - please, let us NOT return to the degree wars).

The caveat to the previous para: all references were to HR people. As
a resume REVIEWER, I look for versatility.

As to samples: to MY mind, they have little value since no one can
know how much work _I_ did on the project (SMEs, managers, clients,
etc. all impact the product), but I do realize people want to see
samples so I provide them from the URL - some as HTML, some as PDF (a
wonderful option).

Regarding scanning: buzzwords, buzzwords, buzzwords (but nouns or
verbs?) ASCII is great, but MOST OCR apps handle Times, Courier, and
Helvetica (type) faces fairly well. Avoid the fancy fonts that can get
turned into graphics.

Enjoy.

==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=