Folio vs HTML

Subject: Folio vs HTML
From: Lisa Ann Miller <lisamil -at- ANET-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 07:46:35 -0600

I would like you all's opinion on Folio and how it compares to HTML-based
documentation. Currently, I am analyzing a documentation project. This
project is extremely complex (multiple platforms, several applications,
many locations, existing documentation that should be used, currently being
migrated). I feel the best development approach would be to document
information at the smallest level and then allow the reader (help desk
folks) to query the information in order to read topics related to his or
her question. Conceptually, it would be called an information database

My question is this - should I use an HTML front-end with a database
back-end or should I use Folio to create the information base? I'm
considering Folio because it has the same functionality as HTML in regards
to hyper-linking, key-word search, links to other applications and
programs. It is based on the idea of an information base, and I wouldn't
need to develop a search engine or manage HTML pages. I guess Folio seems
more to me like developing a standard help file then HTML does. If I do
this though, I think it would mean that I lose the ability to provide
context sensitive help.

My experience with Folio is limited (one introductory session). I have
more general experience with HTML, but not enough to do this project
without more training/research.

Thank you for your consideration of this question.

Lisa Miller
Technical Writer
St. Louis, Missouri
lisamil -at- anet-stl -dot- com