Re: Folio vs HTML

Subject: Re: Folio vs HTML
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:27:01 -0800

Greetings Lisa,

I used FolioViews for a few years, and it is a good application with a large
following.

The main problem is that FolioViews is a proprietary system. In order for
anybody to view the topics or even search on them a Folio reader has to be
installed.

Folio allows the owner of the creation part of the db to "almost" give away
the reader (much like what Adobe does with Acrobat). But don't confuse
FolioViews with Acrobat - FolioViews is a full featured application. Folio
rips through the document and indexes every single word.

I used Folio mainly as a technical support database of problems and
solutions that I was responsible for. If I had the chance to do it all over
again, I would stick with Folio.

Oh, one other downside to Folio, the company is a lot like Interleaf, it has
a great application, but it is very slow to update.

But also like Interleaf (who created a completely custom desktop publishing
system for Integrated Device Technology) is willing to work with their
customers to offer some custom stuff.

If you have any specific questions, please write me.

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Technical Writer
MBD Customer Documentation