Re: Style Manuals

Subject: Re: Style Manuals
From: Todd Sieling <tsieling -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:18:49 -0800

Oh, Lynette, Lynette, Lynette...
I'm just catching up on reading here and I'm sorry to see the turn your
posts have taken.
On Wednesday this week you wrote:

> I believe you mean "linearly," not "lineally," or has Generation
> X banished
> spell checkers?

But way back on Monday, when you began your barrage of vehemence and
brimstone upon microsoft, you opened with the pithy and all-too-telling:

"Has everyone out there lost there minds!! Does anyone remember when REAL
style
guides were used (Chicago Manual of Style, etc.)? I hate to remind
everyone..."

Who spots the homonym!!? I think we all do.
What each of your posts boils down to is a rejection of Microsoft for
everything that it is: makers of software whose sharpest edge is their
ability to act as a marketing and distribution juggernaut. But remember that
in rejecting it so completely, you affirm something in it's place. What is
that? Your choice manual of style? You've mentioned Chicago a few times (a
small irony in that being the development name for the Windows 95 project).
You mentioned your "writer's instincts" too. What is it, I ask now of your
standard. Not what is it not.

Unless you have anything new to say on the subject, and nothing more to pick
apart from other people's emails, skin conditions or spelling misdemeanors,
I must say I've read enough.
Todd Sieling

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=