Re: Help with Help

Subject: Re: Help with Help
From: Todd Sieling <tsieling -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:02:57 -0800

Hi Juley,
I have no good resources for you to look at, unfortunately, as I've learned
to do help armed only with a good computer (lots of ram and hard drive
space), my wits and robohelp, which is both a joy and a pain.
Planning is really important when starting a help system. The decisions that
come out of 'just doing it' will generally come back to haunt you. What you
need to plan for the most is the fact that online help is a different medium
than printed text. You are more responsible for the flow of information,
whereas in a book that is determined by the order of pages. Therefore,
keeping the structure of a help sys in mind while you begin to write is
critical. Keep the topics short, complete, and be sure to reference related
info in other topics. That way when you import your text into the fledgling
help system, it will be more of a natural fit than text from a completed
book.
Best of luck.
Todd Sieling

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=