Re: FWD: Will it hurt my career to take a lower-level job for a while?

Subject: Re: FWD: Will it hurt my career to take a lower-level job for a while?
From: David Castro <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 06:37:45 -0800

>My question is: do you think that if I work as a senior writer for a
>while, it will hurt me when I go job-hunting again and try to find a
>manager position? Will people look at my resume and see only that I
>have appeared to stay at the same level for a long time, and then
>actually moved down a level? Or are jobs plentiful enough in Silicon
>Valley that my experience will be strong enough?

If I was the one interviewing you for the management position, I would see
the stint spent as a documentation writer as a *positive* thing. It would
mean that you had become reacquainted with what it is that doc writers need
from their managers. Of course, my philosophy is that managers are there to
be facilitators for those who they manage, which isn't the philosophy
everywhere, so YMMV.

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=