Re: FWD: Will it hurt my career to take a lower-level job for a while?

Subject: Re: FWD: Will it hurt my career to take a lower-level job for a while?
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 04:07:58 -0600

Take the move and the lower job. Once you're in CA, you can look for a
manager's position at your leisure. And the situation really, is perfectly
understandable. Speaking only for myself, I've taken jobs with lesser titles
simply because I wanted to work in a specific software area. Similarly, I've
passed up manager positions because that is not where my interest lies. If it
was me, I'd take the move and see how things go from there.

jarnopol

>===== Original Message From Anonymous User <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM> =====
>I have been working as a documentation group manager and project manager
>for about 10 years. During that time, I passed up a chance for a
>promotion to a section manager to take an interesting job in another
>company. It didn't work out as I had hoped, and because of that, I
>have stayed at the group manager level for longer than I had planned.
>
>Now I want to move to northern California, an area with which I'm
>not familiar. I can transfer with my
>company, but the only available job is that of senior technical writer.
>I have a lot of experience writing, and I enjoy it, but I am sure I
>would not be happy doing this for a long time; I really like being
>a manager.
>
>My question is: do you think that if I work as a senior writer for a
>while, it will hurt me when I go job-hunting again and try to find a
>manager position? Will people look at my resume and see only that I
>have appeared to stay at the same level for a long time, and then
>actually moved down a level? Or are jobs plentiful enough in Silicon
>Valley that my experience will be strong enough?
>
>Some people advise me that I should not take the transfer, even though it
>would pay for my move, be a guarantee of employment, and probably be a lot
>of fun for at least a while. Others think I can explain the situation
>easily enough when it is time to move on. I'm not sure.

>Message forwarded on request. Please reply on list.
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==
>

>.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=