Re: Credibility of the Internet (was: User-centered design)

Subject: Re: Credibility of the Internet (was: User-centered design)
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:58:06 -0500

> From: Steven Feldberg [mailto:steven -at- ICU -dot- COM]
> Tracy wrote:
> > If I believe I know the truth, I can say "this is true."
>
> Yes, of course. We all do that everyday. I guess what it
> boils down to is:
> once you have stated, "this is true," how well prepared are
> you to answer
> to, "How do you *know* this is true?"

Why even bother with "this is true"?
Just say what your evidence is, unless the listener has a particular reason to take your word for it. And within certain relationships, the authority of the speaker is a substitute for evidence. Teachers often present facts without explaining the evidence underlying those facts, and the students take it as true because the teacher is supposed to be an expert. In tech writing, the reader tends to believe what you say about your product because you supposedly have inside knowledge. Because readers trust us without our presenting evidence, we have a special responsibility to be right.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=