Re: Two Questions

Subject: Re: Two Questions
From: Linda Castellani <linda -at- GRIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:49:11 -0800

>Jerry Kenney writes:
>
>What about the product itself? If it were worth your effort to trim the
orphan before you sent
>it off to the printer, is it not also worth your effort to track the
problem, determine its
>cause, and possibly correct it in the work piece before worrying about a
portfolio piece?

I am tracking the problem with the printer, but it's not what I wanted to
talk to the list about.

>BTW, the reason the orphan came back is that different printer drivers
treat the letter forms,
>sizes, and spacing in the same fonts slightly differently. To avoid this
problem in the
>future, load the exact same printer into your machine and set it as the
default on your final
>edit, the one you will save to send off to the service bureau.

I appreciate the info about the printer driver.

>Now, then, what is critical to your portfolio, how well you write or what
the final work looks
>like?

As far as what is critical to my portfolio - of course, it's how well I
write. Critical to *me* that is. What I'm trying to find out is how
others see it. I've been on job interviews where my samples were
scrutinized down to the leading. Not often, but it all depends on the
person doing the interview and what's important to them. I had one very
bizarre job interview where I was showing a .hlp file to the interviewer
and for some reason, as she roamed around the file, she continued to end up
at the same topic every time, and seemed unable to understand that, since
it was context-sensitive, the best way to view it was with the application
it was written for, but she just looked at me suspiciously when I tried to
explain, and I could see by her eyes that she'd written me off as
completely useless. These examples beg the question of whether I really
wanted to work for (or with) these people, but that issue is beside the
point.

==========================
Obligatory quote:

"Live for today. Work like you don't need money; love like you've never
been hurt; dance like nobody's watching."

--- Christine Comaford, Managing Director of Artemis Ventures,
upon receiving her award as one of the Top 25 Women of the Web

Linda Castellani
Technical Writer
GRIC Communications, Inc.
1421 McCarthy Blvd.