Re: Descriptive line definition

Subject: Re: Descriptive line definition
From: Stephen REYNOLDS <sreynolds -at- INFORMATIVEMEDIA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:53:20 +0000

The plastic end of a shoe lace is called a tag, un ferret (if you're
French), das Schnürsenkelende (if you're German), or un herrete (if
you're Spanish).

Impressed? I have to thank my two (very similar) "visual" dictionaries
for this. These books are excellent when you want the exact word for
something you might struggle to describe. The dictionaries contain
hundreds of labelled diagrams of objects from every aspect of life.
Apart from giving the vital information needed to post to TECHWR-L,
these books are potentially useful for technical writers because:

- They provide concrete examples that demonstrate how diagram labels
change in size during translation.
- They are a great source of inspiration if are not artistically gifted
but you need to illustrate a manual or presentation.

If you're interested in such books, try:

Le Visuel: dictionaire thématique français-anglais; Corbeil,
Jean-Claude; Editions Quéebe/Amérique inc.; ISBN 2-89037-570-X. This has
labels in UK and American English and Franco and Canadian French.

Oxford Visual Dictionary; Oxford University Press; ISBN 0-19-862145-6.
This seems to be basically a smaller format copy of Le Visuel. Because
of its smaller size, the illustrations are not so striking, but they are
still valuable. The labels are in English, French, German, and Spanish.

Regards, Steve

www.informativemedia.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=