Re: Job loss through injury or illness?

Subject: Re: Job loss through injury or illness?
From: Heidi Waterhouse <HWaterhouse -at- VIDEOUPDATE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:00:25 -0600

I sliced open a knuckle in a kitchen accident, and got four stitches in my
right hand. As you can imagine, this really slowed me down, typing-wise.
Since I was working on hourly at the time, and telecommuting, I charged my
employer for 75% of my time, on the theory that it wasn't his fault I was
down to 15 wpm, but also that I spent a lot of time thinking and not typing.
It seemed like a fair solution.

My sister developed carpal tunnel in 1 month, doing data entry. When she
got back to college, she invested in Dragon Naturally Speaking. Her letters
home were pretty funny looking at first, while she was training it, but she
swears she turns out papers faster now than she did before. She did have to
upgrade her RAM to 64, just to make the computer run naturally, and she
warns against writing papers about middle English, but other than that, it
seems like a viable solution for someone prevented from typing.

For anyone truly worried about repetitive motion, let me suggest learning a
new keyboard layout. I use the Dvorak layout, and my fingers move a lot
less, and my wrists are less stressed. As an added bonus, my typing speed
has gone way up. Check out http://www.dvorakint.org/. You won't need any
special software, since Win95, NT, and most Macs are already Dvorak capable.
For more information on the joys of freaky typing, mail me off-list.

Heidi Waterhouse
hwaterhouse -at- videoupdate -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=