Re: Documentation and CMM?

Subject: Re: Documentation and CMM?
From: "Atkinson, Phil" <Phil -dot- Atkinson -at- BRAID -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:31:23 -0000

>> Mike Huber said: One minor point: the "oh, yeah - I
>> guess we need documentation" problem can't be solved
>> by documentation procedures.

The so called problem can only be addressed properly by the right company
ethos and attitude. Regardless of the procedures in place -- for
documentation or development -- they will not be followed unless it is clear
that they are an integral part of the company's development process --
backed up by management.

When I say 'development process', I am not talking about one process
document, but the whole company structure. If a company wants to produce
good software -- design it, develop it, document & test it -- they will do
so because it is part of their ethos to do so. If anyone tries to impose
that structure upon a company they have a significant struggle ahead of them
(and I wish them the best of luck, for it is a noble struggle). If anyone
expects someone else to bring about that change for them, they may be
disappointed.

Phil Atkinson - Documentation Manager - Braid Systems Limited