Re: What is a Technical Specifications document?

Subject: Re: What is a Technical Specifications document?
From: Jane Bergen <jbergen1 -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:51:01 -0600

Technical specifications are developers/programmers notes on why, how,
and when for the project. They tend to address only technical issues
and are not intended for users. Sales and marketing folks often use
them to develop their strategies, and QA/testing uses them to develop
their test plans.

Although the technical specs are indeed written by the developers,
most of the time the developers are happy (unless there are bad
political vibes going on in a company) to pass it by the tech writers
for a sanity check. At least the developers I've worked with are happy
to do this. It helps me a lot, too, when I begin my documents. And
when the specs are approved by the powers-that-be, I always keep a
copy in my project notebook and update them as updates are issued.

Jane Bergen