Re: Tech writer status <rant>

Subject: Re: Tech writer status <rant>
From: "Megan E. Rock" <megan -dot- rock -at- FANUCROBOTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:35:13 -0500

Melonie Holliman said:

"As a technical writer, I have a unique view point and can significantly
improve a product or service."

Obviously most of us technical writers believe this or we would be in a
different line of work. But how many of you work for companies where
management outside of the technical writing department truly appreciates and
respects a technical writer's perspective and recognizes the value that
quality documentation adds to a product?

I know that it's common for a manager of a documentation group to champion
the cause, but it seems that in many cases the documentation group is
constantly fighting to be heard because documentation is viewed as a
necessary evil by the engineering groups.

How have you influenced the thinking of non-documentation management so they
also insist on clear, concise, and usable documentation?

Megan E. Rock
Electronic Documentation
(248) 377-7948
megan -dot- rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=