Re: Documenting Code/Why Is It So Ugly?

Subject: Re: Documenting Code/Why Is It So Ugly?
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:13:00 -0600

When I import code into a Frame doc it is so ugly. Does anyone have
any tips for making it more readable? Is there a filter for importing
code into Frame/PC (I know there's one for Frame/UNIX)? Is there a
standard font and tab settings that I should be using?

Use a monospaced font, courier is traditional. Ask the programmers what
the standard tabs are -- 4 and eight spaces are typical, but some shops
use other style standards (yes, there are style standards in programming
shops; it helps ensure the next poor slob can read what the last one
wrote).

The thing to remember is in code, form follows function. It's never
arranged to look good on the page; it's only arranged to be clear and
logical to understand. Thus blocks of code are indented the same amount to
make it obvious to the eye they are grouped together. Writers tend to look
at the entire body of text; programmers are more interested in the left
margin than anything else.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224