Re: CSS with Netscape

Subject: Re: CSS with Netscape
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:27:00 -0600

> IE 5
>claims to be fully CSS2 compliant, but I have not tested it fully and will
>believe it only when I see it. NN 4 support is better than IE 3 but worse
>than IE 4, and NN 5 promises to be fully CSS2 compliant.

Check out the review of IE5 on www.builder.com. Not only are they not CSS2
compliant, they haven't even made it through CSS1. The Pseudo-elements
"first-letter"
and "first-line," for example are not supported at all. The conclusion was
that once again MS was wasting our time by adding new features without fixing
the old deficiencies first.

I've seen NGLayout (Netscape's Next Generation Layout engine) and if 5.0 ships
with it I'm just about ready to be brutal over it and write to the standard and
let MS twist in the wind. It does look, finally, as if Netscape Gets It about
standards. It's obvious from the MS response to the Web Standards Project that
they still don't. They're still trying to spin their non-compliance with
standards
as limitations on their "innovation" (don't get me started) when I wouldn't
mind
in the least if they added features over and above the standard, but at least
supported the standard as much as they claim.

They used to proclaim they were the most standards-compliant browser, but with
the current version of Opera they may have lost that right, and with the
pending
v5 from Netscape, they quite easily could end up being the *least* compliant in
very short order.

I'm in the process of moving to CSS in a limited way, for font control and
general
appearance. I'm waiting patiently(?) for *someone* to support the
pseudo-elements and
the print option in CSS, as then I'll have *most* of what I want, at least.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=