Re: (Zachary) tayloring (Rant/Long)

Subject: Re: (Zachary) tayloring (Rant/Long)
From: Jan Boomsliter <boomah -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:48:34 -0800

Amen, and thank you for saying it.

I like to refer people to TECHWR-L to find out what we do, understand how we do
it, and show off the thoughtfulness and professionalism of tech writers. I am
also reluctant to do that because of the all-too-frequent examples of sloppy
writing. I cringe when I see professional writers who seem to believe that
"alot" is a word.

Please help us show how good we are, not what we "dash off without checking." A
large part of our job is checking, checking, checking. Let's show our stuff.

Jan

Scott Havens wrote:

> <RANT ON>
> I'm afraid I have more sympathy with Melissa than with John. . . .
> It never ceases to amaze me how many contributors to this list
> make systematic errors that any grade school student should be able to
> recognize and avoid. Sure, we all hit a wrong key once in a while or
> fail to proof something because there's just not enough time. I don't
> have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is repeated
> misuse of possessives, frequent subject-verb-object disagreements, and
> so on. If we're going to represent ourselves as communication
> professionals, how can we get away with using language so sloppy that we
> lose any credibility we might otherwise have had? . . .

begin:vcard
n:Boomsliter;Jan
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Fax 408 871-0481 Voice 408/378-6093
version:2.1
email;internet:boomah -at- concentric -dot- net
title:Senior Technical Writer
x-mozilla-cpt:;24544
fn:Jan Boomsliter
end:vcard