Re: How to reference screen captures in online help

Subject: Re: How to reference screen captures in online help
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:18:08 -0800

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:45:20 -0500, Michelle Vina-Baltsas wrote:

>I'm stuck on this, so I figured I'd ask the experts what they do. How do
>you all reference screen captures in your help files? Traditionally, I
>have used something like this, "The XYZ sample window is shown below.", but
>I'm wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions. Also, for those of
>you who add hotspots to your screen captures, how do you reference them in
>your help file?

Almost all documentation I've ever seen that includes pictures, diagrams,
and/or screenshots, either "attach" captions directly to the image, or
name the images (often as "figures"), and reference that in the text. For
example, a picture of a file dialog may be captioned "Fig. 2", and the
corresponding text, which may or may not be directly adjacent to the
picture itself, might read, "Clicking File, Open will display a file
dialog (Fig. 2)..." If the picture ends up on a different page, the page
number, text such as "previous page", or other reference can be added as
well.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

-

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

And the men who hold high places
Must be the ones who start
To mold a new reality
Closer to the heart