Re: Photography credits

Subject: Re: Photography credits
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:39:00 -0800

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:42:09 PST, Leah Geanopulos wrote:

>My question is, would it be permissible to use a blanket statement at
>the beginning of the publication that will prevent me from having to
>research photographer information and give photo credits for each one? I
>was thinking, something like this:
>
>All photos included in this publication are the personal property of the
>individuals pictured and are printed with their permission.

I would have something more like this:

Except where otherwise noted, photos included in this publication are the
personal property of the individuals pictured. All photos are used with
the permission of their respective owner or copyright holder.

As others have suggested, getting permission to use those done by a
professional studio is a good idea, and probably not that difficult,
especially if this is a non-commercial project (you didn't mention what
sort of project it is - internal company directory, or...?) Those
pictures could then be given a simple, small caption: (c) 19xx Bob Smith
Photography

Worst-case scenario, someone must have a relative who's an aspiring photog
who would be happy to come in and shoot pictures of those people whose
submitted shots' copyright is questionable. Pay him a little something
for his time and materials, make sure he signs over the copyrights, and
everybody wins: you have the pictures you need, and your shutterbug has
something to add to his portfolio.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

On the edge of sleep, I awoke to a sun so bright
Rested and fearless, cheered by your nearness
I knew which direction was right
The case had been tried by the jury inside
The choice between darkness and light...
- Rush, "Double Agent"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=