Re: Readability tools? Just say no!

Subject: Re: Readability tools? Just say no!
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:26:44 -0500

Well, there's nothing like a good bogus criterion to have some fun with.
Suppose, for example, and I'm not in the least suggesting you really do
this, that you create a beautifully readable doc at the accepted readability
level, then jumble all the words within each sentence. According to
Flesch-Kincaid, this unreadable gibberish is still as readable as it was
originally.

Now, give it to an OEM.

OEM: I can't accept this, it's garbage!

You: Are you kidding? Any fifth grader should be able to read and
understand this! You wanted us to write to this level, didn't you?
Flesch-Kincaid never lies!

To which the OEM will, quite understandably, point out that the document
makes no sense because, although sentence and word length provide basic
*guidelines* to what is readable and what isn't, readability is affected by
far more things.

By some tests, the King James Version of the Bible has a lower reading grade
level than twentieth-century translations. True, it uses shorter words and
sentences. Yet how many people can actually pick up a four-hundred-year-old
KJV and say it's much easier to read than a New International Version from
1974?

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc., Kanata, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=