Re: CSS with Netscape

Subject: Re: CSS with Netscape
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:11:00 -0600

>Meanwhile, Microsoft's browser has a robust and large document object model.
>It handles most types of scripting and ActiveX controls. This is what
>Microsoft means by their browser development being restricted by standards.

No, Mike, it isn't. There was nothing at all stopping MS from
implementing CSS fully *in addition* to the extras. They chose
to ignore the standards and create a product that will instead
lock a web developer into using their own proprietary product.

VBScript is a good example. They have purposely made their
"Jscript" non-compliant with the ECMA standard, and are routing
developers towards their proprietary scripting language. They
*could* have chosen to do a standard scripting language, but
that would have meant that people would have had a choice between
their tools and someone else's. That's heresy in Redmond.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=