FWD: One manual, two products

Subject: FWD: One manual, two products
From: Anonymous User <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:52:53 -0700

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

My company plans to release two versions of the same basic software product;
one version will have basic functionality and the other more advanced
functionality (like a Pro product). They want the same manual to document
both versions of the product. The manual will contain both conceptual
information and task-oriented material. Some tasks will pertain to both
versions of the product and some to only the advanced (or Pro) version. The
interface will be slightly different; for example, one of the toolbars will
have only three buttons in the basic product, while the toolbar in the
advanced version will have six buttons, etc.

I have been asked to modify our existing template in such a way that the
user will easily be able to identify which tasks apply to both products, and
which apply only to the Pro product. This might be done using a different
color, a special symbol or logo, or a different page layout. I'm really not
sure how to begin, and I thought it might be helpful to look at some samples
of existing manuals that deal effectively with this issue. Can anyone offer
me suggestions on where to find good samples, or maybe pass on some ideas or
experiences of your own? I would really appreciate any ideas and feedback I
can get.

Thanks!

Message forwarded on request. Please reply on list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=