FWD: Marketing tech writers and consulting companies

Subject: FWD: Marketing tech writers and consulting companies
From: Anonymous User <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:40:24 -0700

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Many on this list are contractors, so I'd like to ask some advice.
About six months ago I began working for a consulting company as a
full-time employee. I get all the benefits (health insurance,
vacation, sick days, etc.) through them. They pay "bench time" (which
I have not had to use yet). We are in a large metropolitan area with
significant high-tech industries.

The problem is that this company is simply not marketing its writers.
They actively place and market their programmers, business
consultants, system consultants and other professionals, but they seem
to only have jobs in far-outlying areas for writers....and it's almost
as an afterthought. My first contract with them required me to drive
about 70 miles per day (all freeways, so it took about 2-4 hours
driving per day). I'm currently winding down my project and the next
possible project is even further! I'm so frustrated.

My question to you, if you work for this type of company, is how much
leverage do I have? Is it reasonable to say "No...find me something
closer"?Should I attempt to get involved with the account reps and see
what's going on? I'm the new kid on the block here and just don't know
what to do. Should I quit and go somewhere else? (the job market here
is good, though I like this company) Is this typical or should I just
seek permanent employment status instead of contract companies?

Message forwarded on request. Please reply on list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=