Looking for entry-level positions

Subject: Looking for entry-level positions
From: Yuki&Sav Shimada <savyuki1 -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 14:45:58 -0500

Hello,

I'm currently pursuing a degree in engineering at City College of New
York (CCNY) and learnt about this e-mail list through my technical
communications class. Having already
worked as a writer in New York during the past two years, I found that I
am most comfortable writing more informative, factual pieces, and I
think that technical communication seems to suit me very well.

However, in my browsings I have found that nearly all job postings seem
to be related to writing on subjects in the computer or electrical
engineering field, and as this is not my forte, I am wondering what the
market is like for more general technical writing.

I already have a B.A. (Hons.) from Australia, with majors in Japanese
and German. I have worked as a writer-editor at a children's science
magazine, which included writing and editing a Teachers' Manual. At
present I am still employed at an architectural firm where my research
and writing is mostly aimed at preparing reports on architectural and
construction trends in the U.S..

My greatest strengths are my English skills, my ability to conduct
research in a wide range of fields, and most importantly, I believe, my
ability to adjust my language and presentation to best suit the level
of my readers. For example, I have written for very young children, for
elementary school teachers, and for professional architecfs and
engineers whose native language is not English.

What I am most interested in is writing that requires research in any
area. If anyone has any information on how I might enter the field, I
would appreciate your advice.

Thank you in advance,

Sav Shimada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=