Re: Contracting Experiences

Subject: Re: Contracting Experiences
From: "Meek, DavidX L" <davidx -dot- l -dot- meek -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:51:08 -0700

I'm just now stepping into this thread, and I'd like to add some thoughts
based on my three years of consulting experience. One huge benefit of being
a consultant is that you *usually* avoid the typical office politics that
every company has. Very few people want to enlist you as a political ally
when they know you'll be gone in a few months. This fact is not only a
blessing in itself, but it also helps you maintain objectivity.

A big disadvantage to consulting is that it can be a somewhat unsettled
lifestyle. Work for three months at one place, pound the pavement for a new
contract, work at another place for six months, repeat the process. The
possibility of being unemployed can be quite high, depending on the market
and your location. The advantage to this situation is that it forces you to
improve your interviewing skills. Now that I'm comfortable with
interviewing, I now find myself looking forward to showcasing my talents.
In addition, a series of three-month contracts with different employers over
a year gives me the equivalent of two years of experience. How? Because
while the tools generally remain the same, I gain exposure to various
corporate cultures and workstyles.

In short, consulting (contracting) has its ups-and-downs, but it sure is one
helluva ride!

Dave
(Any statements made above are mine, and mine alone.)

From: Elna Tymes

And THAT is truly one of the joys of contracting! As I've gotten older,
I've
found I'm even less willing to suffer fools gladly. Which makes dealing with
managers/developers/engineers who don't know what they're doing very
difficult -
tact is, for me, a learned skill. What keeps me sane in those circumstances
is to
silently remind myself that they're paying me by the hour.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=